After Effects Number Generator is an expression based text preset to generate counters in various format – timecode, time, frames, custom (with a slider), time between two markers – with some options – layer or comp related time, prefix, suffix, decimals and countdown.
I don’t know why I started to post resources in my blog, I’m not planning to place adwords in the website, but I feel happy to do it so here it is.It has a lot of controls and mixing them you can generate numbers and counters in a lot of different way:
- Custom numbers – To control the numbers with a slider
- Layer Related – Time related to the layer
- Markers – Time between two markers.
- Time – Time in seconds (if no layer or markers option is selected it’ll display the comp time)
- Timecode – To display the time as timecode
- Frames – Display the time in frames
- Decimals – Choose how many decimals to display
- Minimum digits long – Choose how many minimum digits the number has to display
- Countdown – Reverse the values. It works with time, timecode and frames
- Thousand commas – Generate a comma on the thousands value.
- Prefix – The layer name will be used as prefix so you can put whatever you want before your numbers (i.e.: $1,000.00)
- Suffix – idem (i.e.: 100%)
It doesn’t have random options because I’m planning a separate preset with range, updating frequency etc.
Furthermore the code is really messed up but it seems to work that it’s not a bad news.
Have a play with it.
Inspired by, and based on, Universal Counter by Dan Hebberts at Motionscript.com, my expression learning centre.
In the meantime that I was writing this post I realised that a similar tool is now a built-in plugin so I changed the name from Essential Number Generator to Useless Number Generator. The good news is that actually my useless number generator it’s not so useless: you’ll have easier control over text formatting and text animation and there are options unavailable on the Numbers Effect (and vice versa).
If this preset it’s not enough, and you feel comfortable to manipulate expressions, Quba Michalski has just released another tool to deal with numbers formatting in AE. Here: http://qubahq.com/2014/06/ubernumber/
On request I added the “Minimum digits long” option, so if you want your number to start from 000, or whatever else, instead of 0 now you can. Credits this time are going to Brad Chmielewski for his expression.
Current version is 1.1